You are here
- Home >
Research opens the door to creation, exploration, discovery, and the testing of ideas. At Ohio State, your experience as a faculty member, student or researcher extends far beyond the College of Engineering and Knowlton School of Architecture because of the strong collaborations that exist among the other colleges across campus. Here, engineers work with doctors, physicists, designers, artists and experts in many other fields.
Ohio State is fourth nationally among public universities in industry-sponsored research. Industry R&D expenditures for the College of Engineering in fiscal year 2017 totaled over $58.4 million.
Our faculty and reseachers are working with our students to solve some of society's most pressing challenges. For example, the National Academy of Engineering predicts 14 Grand Challenges will dominate the engineering landscape for the foreseeable future:
- Make solar energy economical
- Provide energy from fusion
- Develop carbon sequestration methods
- Manage the nitrogen cycle
- Provide access to clean water
- Restore and improve urban infrastructure
- Advance health informatics
- Engineer better medicines
- Reverse-engineer the brain
- Prevent nuclear terror
- Secure cyberspace
- Enhance virtual reality
- Advance personalized learning
- Engineer the tools of scientific discovery
We've had remarkable success in addressing these challenges, and we will continue to advance solutions we're creating as well as ideas still in the nascent stages.